Saturday, June 06, 2009

Oh To Be Thankful

About a week a go I was sat on the M6 heading to the Lakes listening to a talk given by an American Bible teacher on prayer. During the talk he raised a key Biblical point about how we should pray - namely that all our prayer should be made in the light of thanksgiving. Giving thanks for the multitude of things we have recieved from our Father, our Creator.

Now, thats not something new to me. I've heard it said countless times, by many different teachers, pastors, speakers, friends etc. I've read it in books and even come across the concept of thanksgiving on endless tv shows seeking to make a definative counter-cultural insight.

And yet, it is a striking and deeply challenging aspect to the way in which we view and lead out our lives. I can sit here now and say with both a deep conviction and a profound frustration that I do not approach prayer with an attitude of thanksgiving. Infact, if anything I approach prayer right now with a high level of indifference - a 'Why doesen't this make an difference?' state. No doubt the two are linked. I spend my days deeply saddned at what i'm missing in life (eg a job, or my own home, a more active social life), and as I pray about those things and ask God for wisdom and encouragement, strength etc to come to a point where those 'dilemas' in my life are rectified, I become deeply despondent as He seems to ignore those prayers. But how ridiculous is that? I have so, so, so, so much in this life to be thankful for, beginning with a great faith in God. Add to that family, friends, a long-term relationship, financial security, a nation that is blessed with economic prosperity and a good standard of living.

Yet I never say thankyou for that. How spoilt, ungrateful and annoying am I? And yet the Lord still loves me. Incredible. Time though for some thanksgiven prayer.

No comments: