A bit of a different book review than the quite heavy history ones that have preceeded this post. When I was last in America I picked up a book of devotionals by John Piper entitled Taste and See. I bought it really hoping to find something gritty and thought provoking in a Biblical sense, but something that was also relatively accessible and easy to read. Not to dismiss reading more substantial works (I actually have one of John Piper's more substantial works sat on my bookshelf - Future Grace), but I recognise freely that I will easily excuse reading a more weighty tomb because it trully takes investment in terms of time and thought, whereas this book encourages you to take wholesome bite size chunks. In other words if you are pressed for time, this book is a great suppliment to a daily quiet time or for those 15 mins you might have at work (Says the unemployed man!).
Its based upon the Taste and See articles that are also available at www.desiringgod.com , so you can go on there and check out what kind of a book you will be buying, but otherwise I can't recommend it highly enough, not least as it directs you time and again back to the Bible and Christ. I'll probably finish the last of the 140 articles in the next few days and I've already ordered a similar book by Mr Piper. Strongly recommended.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment