Hmm... I've been coming to a realisation over the last week or so, namely that I don't enjoy travelling. Or, rather, that I don't enjoy the planning and general preparation that has to go into planning a trip somewhere.
As long as the planning is done, I really enjoy flying, taking a ferry etc, and of all the places I've been fortunate to have visited in my life, each and every one has left me with fond memories.
However, in attempting to put together a research trip to Dublin recently I have been reminded of the frustration, and indeed stupidty of much that goes with modern travel. Sure its better than the old days when a trip across the Atlantic would involve a good few months at sea, on a crowded ship rife with disease, often passing through horrendous storms, only to arrive at your desination (be it America or Europe) and step off the ship and be immediatly fleeced of all your belongings by someone seeking to 'assist' your arrival in your new home.
Now though we live in a world of electronic commerce where a simple debit card expiry date can cause havoc with all your travel plans, a world of budget airlines that are frequently overbooked.. And so forth. Ladies and Gentlemen I am frustrated this day by the world of travel. Britain is nice. Yeah.. I might just stay here. Ahhhh.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
dude. try booking for 9 at a time. :0
Haha. No ta Ash! I'll admit that my situation is pretty simple but yeah - its just not fun.
And Tim, if everything works out i'll be in Dublin 6th June-9th June.
i think you should laugh.
it is the best medicine for weird travel hazards.
i have a whole BOOK of things in my past travel experiences that all i can do is laugh at.
it is good for you.
Post a Comment