Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Match

Well tonight is the night that Liverpool pulled off something I never imagined possible - they won the Champions League final, beating AC Milan 3-2 on penalties after a thrilling 3-3 match before hand. Its a match i'll never forget.

I didn't watch any of it of though.. Thats right. Not a bit - well maybe the first five minutes. But for the rest of the match I took in the event in a much better way - that of the casual observer. And it was great.

Maybe its because i'm an arts student (and that I strongly disliked sport at high school) but I really enjoyed just being able to see how everyone else watched the match, as opposed to actually watching it. Walking up Penny Lane as Liverpool won the match was amazing.. The atmosphere was incredible - cheers the like of which i've never heard before, and never will again. People dancing in their front rooms. People dancing in the street. Taxi's beeping their horn in joy rather than anger. Amazing.

It was a quality way of celebrating Liverpool's victory. And as my mate put it - what better way to see in a historic Liverpool victory than by walking up the road that is Liverpool as far as many people in the world are concerned. Dude.. Too good..

And as a life long Liverpool fan (honestly!!!) I say well done to the boys.. Good stuff..

No comments: