Thursday, August 04, 2005

Musing...

I wrote a HUGE entry here before only to go to post it and - deep breath - it didn't post. Honestly, I reckon it was approaching 1,000 words. But - maybe its best it didn't make it to the published stage.

Anyway, here are a few assorted notes on the various things that I've been thinking about today.

1. Fuel. Petrol in this country has risen to an extortionate amount since I was last home and using my car. Today when I went to fill up it was 89.7p a litre. For our American friends that is about $6 a gallon. Yikes!!!

2. Teaching. I went into my mum's school today to help her get her classroom ready for the forthcoming term. All I was doing really was mundane tasks - sticking name labels on books etc - but it started me thinking about how much of a stressful job teaching is these days. Teachers aren't just teachers - they are mentors, managers, accounts, artists, IT specialists, and particularly in Primary education, are required to be experts in many, many subject areas. They have demands in time, stress and responsibility similar to professions such as Law and Medicine and yet recieve much less pay than lawyers, doctors etc. In short I have the highest respect for teachers, and would have to think very, very, very hard indeed before choosing the profession myself.

3. St Helens. My home town. Its been discussed here before, and I'll start by saying that it has many problems. Its run down, and full of scallies for a start. But the people are so, so friendly - this always take me aback - and my particular part of the town is so nice. The colours of the fields, the fresh air, the feeling of space - such a welcome change from Liverpool.

And, thats it...

R

No comments: