However, in thinking and praying about the future its always nice to reflect on how some of my friends from Uni past are leading their post-Uni lives, and that has been made all the more easy by two of my good mates who have been updating me of late.
To begin i'll introduce you to my mate Alistair Dickey. This is Alistair after having put up with 4 annoying English blokes for a weekend....

I had the privilege of getting to know Al, or 'Dickey' as we usually call him, in my second year of Uni. He was just completing his Masters degree before going home to Northern Ireland, but for a few months me and some of the other guys at Bridge Chapel, including Dickey would hang out, and it was cool. Over the last few years me, and later a whole group of us, have made various trips over to Northern Ireland to catch up with Mr Dickey and just generally hang out. Anyway Alistair is about to head out to Lebanon to begin working with local kids as part of an overall Gospel outreach programme and its really cool to see how he his looking to serve God in a part of the world he seems to have a fondness for (he is currently out in Egypt on an archaeological dig). Marvellous and pretty inspiring when I look to how I will lead my life in a post Uni setting.
I'd also like to introduce you to my mate Joseph Hardwick. This is Joe and me looking a bit daft at our graduation. Pink, fury hoods and all...

Like Dickey, I was blessed with getting to know Joe pretty well in my second year of Uni, again in the context of Bridge Chapel. Over the course of the year and later my third year we became pretty good mates, and even though he plumped for the option of entering the 'real world' after Uni whilst I stayed in Liverpool, we have remained in contact which again has been pretty inspiring. Joe is a unique individual and has been a major influence on my Christian walk, and indeed remains so. He currently works for a charity named Christian Partners in Africa, which specialises in various projects in four African nations. Its only a small charity, but Joe has had various opportunities to head out to Africa and meet those with whom his charity works. Indeed, part of his work has seen him give his testimony to Muslim guys with rifles and other scary impliments, as well as sit with desert peoples who had been experiencing long term drought and pray with them for rain, and sure enough to awake the next day and the heavens have opened. I mean seriously guys how inspiring is that?! Joe is still working hard for CPA, both in the UK (helping to lead Christian conferences in his local area) and Africa.
The faith and the trust that both Alistair and Joe have in the Lord in terms of provision and guidence for their lives inspire me no-end, as does the way in which they actively seek to serve the Lord. Perhaps more than ever, as I look to my imediate post-Uni future, I feel blessed to call these guys my good friends. Splendid.
3 comments:
r, does this mean you're pondering full-time ministry (though you say you're not disclosing your future plans)?
Yes. I didn't want to post about future plans as I didn't want to detract from the rest of the post. But I am considering applying to be a UCCF Relay Worker for next year.
In the meantime I am loving listening to a British indie band called Ocean Colour Scene. Marvellous.
good luck in seeking God's will for your future :)
Post a Comment