Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Squirrels...


Today i went down to Sefton Park to clear my head a little and take in some winter air, which was great. Its such a fantastic blessing to be able to do that. However, on this particular day I had a more interesting walk than usual involving the park squirrels.

Now even in Sefton Park I have grown accustomed for a squirrel to always keep a good distance from you when you walk past. Like most small creatures they have a tendancy to run up the nearest tree when you get too close, probably because not too many years ago they would have made a decent meal for a hungry farmer or woodsman. ( I am not condoning the capturing and eating of squirrels here - i'm quite content with the more traditional staples of pig, sheep and cow).

Anyway... I was walking down a particularly wooded part of the park and came across a squirrel that seemed pretty friendly in that it didn't run off. So I stood and watched for a sec thinking it would bolt up a tree sooner rather than later. But it didn't... Instead it adopted a postion that I can only describe as 'expectant begging', as it sat on its haunches obviously waiting for some nuts to be thrown it its direction.

As I was watching my first little friend however, a second squirrel was bounding its way across the nearby woodland towards me. It got closer and closer until it was eventually sat at my feet and I thought, 'Wow. This is pretty close. Cool.', again expecting the squirrel to turn and bolt up a tree. But... It didn't. Instead my second little friend started to climb up my leg and then my arm until it was sat on my shoulder. Finding this somewhat surreal I just stood still and watched as it worked out that I was not a good source of potential food and scurried back down to continue its endless search for grub.

However, realising its error in sitting still, the first 'begging' squirrel started climbing up my leg too... At this point I decided that as fun as this was I really wanted to get home so I could sort out some tasks and just started walking away, with the squirrel still in mid ascent..

Huh... So very odd and yet also pretty cool.

The rest of my day couldn't live up to that but I've managed to finally sort out some admin stuff and I had a brief but good time in Uni. So yeah... Cool day peeps.

Oh and Evans still has soup.. Mmmm... soup.

4 comments:

Andy said...

From now on I will refer to you as Ace Williams

Sara said...

i think youre lying......
but on a side note, isn't the word SQUIRREL funny? i agree with my ole friend in that skwirl would be adequate.

Anonymous said...

i think everything about this post is weird if it's true.

tell the truth williams.

did two squirrels really scale you?

Rich said...

yes they did... tis all true.